miércoles, 2 de abril de 2014

Homework 7th - 11th April

Read the story and write a paragraph explaining why you liked it / didn´t like it.
Also include a brief description of  the characters and give your opinion about them.
.

The Living Blossom
 
 
By Ashley Carmichael
Born 1995, F, from North Carolina, United States

A flower, that blooms every spring, is one of the most beautiful moments you will ever experience. If you don't believe such a thing, you may want to change your mind. For my story will open up your eyes, and make you see how memorable one blooming flower can be.

* * *

The journey was rash as we sailed the sea. Thrashing storms hit us day after day for hours. It was as if the sea itself was trying to keep us away from something. Perhaps it was; After all our mission is to search for the forbidden island. Tales have been told that an island exists in this world where the sun always shines and the rain is calm and soothing as if it is watering the plants with gentle care.
I could still remember the words my grandfather said to me when he told me such a story of the island. I always wondered as a child if he has ever been there himself.
I ran back and forth trying to keep the sails of our ship from being destroyed by the powerful waves. the crew scurried everywhere trying to keep our ship in order. The captain shouted orders as he observed every move every crew member made. Hours passed as we finally relaxed when the ship began to balance out on the sea. I looked up as the sun peeked out from behind the clouds. My fear flew away knowing I was alive and not dead.

"LAND HOOOOO!" Our look out shouted. Everyone suddenly shifted to the front of the ship to see what land awaits beyond them.
"Erin look! There it is!" My best friend Kohaku said with a smile.
"Wonder what awaits there," I grinned.
As we landed the ship everyone laid flat on the sand including me. I swear it never felt so good to feel such soft sand. Suddenly I jumped up and looked toward the forest.
"Hey Kohaku," Kohaku looked at me with questionable look. "Did you hear that?"
"Hear what my friend?"
"Singing..." I stared into the forest as if I had fallen into a trance.
"Singing?" Kohaku asked followed by a chuckle. "My dear friend, I think you swallowed too much sea water," He laughed as he helped me up.
"Come Erin! We have to help set up camp." I nodded as I followed. Throughout helping build up the camp site, I could not focus on anything else but the soft singing I continued to hear.

* * *

The fire danced as Kohaku continued one of his stories. Ever since Kohaku move to Italy from Japan he would tell me myths and legends from his country. I suppose that's what made me really want to become a traveler, an explorer, whatever you want to call it. The singing continued as Kohaku danced around telling his crazy stories on magical fairies that lived in the cherry blossoms. My mind couldn't help but wander to the point where I snuck off into the forest. The deeper I got into the forest the closer I got to the singing I heard.
My eyes began to widen as the leaves started glowing in the dark, showing shades of blues, greens, and purples. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I thought to myself, wondering if perhaps the storm wasn't just coincidence. Perhaps, the storm was trying to keep us away from this island. Perhaps, there is more to this island than meets the eye.
The soft singing got closer until I finally arrived at a small opening where a little pond sparkled under the moonlight. I stood there in wonder and surprise to see a giant bloomed white rose laid on top of the water gracefully. There, sat a beautiful woman. Her skin so pale and elegant while her eyes sparkled a emerald green like a leaf. Her hair green like her eyes and a flower crown of white roses rested on her head. Her dress was made of giant white rose petals and her posture was graceful and beautiful. Right over her heart was a white crystal attached to her skin. She was not human, but was as beautiful as any normal maiden would be.
She stopped her singing as she noticed the unfamiliar intruder appear in front of her. Her guard was up as the trees suddenly closed the way I came in.
"Who are you stranger?" She looked at me in wonder with a mix of fear and anger. I stuttered a little.
"P-please I mean no harm I just... I heard you singing," Her eyes widened in shock.
"You are no plant," she spoke.
"No, I am human. I am Erin."
"Human? No human has entered this island alive. In other words, you are an intruder. I assume there are more of you? The storm warned me that it couldn't keep your kind away for long. Meaning you and your kind are strong. What is it you want?" She stared at me for a long while, hand over her heart as if she was afraid someone would steal it.
"We don't want anything. We are explorers... travelers. Wanting to learn more about our world. Learning more than what we already know," I smiled as I looked around. She relaxed a little as if she just knew I was telling the truth. Silence broke in until I finally spoke.
"Your song," I spoke staring at her divine beauty. She looked back.
"What about it?"
"May I hear it?" She looked at me surprised but smiled with warmth.
"I suppose..." She whispered as I sat down and watched her. Her voice was graceful and calm like an angel. My eyes closed listening to each word she sang.

Come now, my children.
my blooming flowers grow.
rest well under the moonlight,
till the sun rises with its shining rays of light.
And as I sit and lay here, I'll continue to watch you grow.
My life and power, belongs to you.
So grow now, my children.
Don't be afraid to bloom.
With every seed, and every bud,
beauty blooms, right under the sun or stars.

I couldn't help but blush while feeling lost at the same time. She looked at me and smiled.
"You don't seem to understand my words human." My blush deepened.
"I don't. You're talking about your children. You have children?" I tilted my head a little with a puzzled gaze.
"Of course I do. This forest, these plants, and these little flowers, are my children." I had never looked more confused until she said that. She only laughed.
"Erin was it?" She smiled as I nodded. "Well Erin, if I tell you my secret, can I trust you enough to keep others away? To keep me safe?"
My eyes gazed at her speechlessly. She trusts me enough already? Yet we had just met, so how could she trust me? I nodded anyways. Her hand suddenly moved over her heart, resting on the strange crystal attached to her.
"This is called the Crystal of Roots. I am its guardian and the keeper of this crystal. My duty as a guardian, is to care for this island and its plants. Without this crystal, Erin, this Island will die; along with me," I just stared at her. I couldn't believe what she was telling me.
"You're keeping the plants alive? Eventually though they will die, I mean, they're plants after all," She stared with an unsurprised look.
"When you see a flower Erin, what do you think?" Confused enough already, I just stared at her.
"It's pretty," was all I said. She suddenly started laughing hysterically, as if it was a joke. Then looked at me and showed seriousness.
"A flower, is more than just a flower Erin. A flower is like a newborn baby in your world. First a seed, then grown to a little leaf, then blooms into something beautiful. When you see a leaf, you find it boring but you don't realize how beautiful it is until it finally blooms. And it's not just flowers Erin. Plants in general are all beautiful but most importantly they are life. They are the ones providing you the fruit and vegetables you eat. The air you breathe in, along with the affection you show to a loved one."
My mind opened up a little more at her words. Never have I realized how important plants really were. Not even opened my eyes enough to see its true potential and beauty.
"You must go now Erin. It is late," She smiled as the roots from underground lift me up. "Perhaps I will see you again Erin; however, you and your friends must leave. I cannot risk the safety. I know your kind. Not all are violent but some wear a mask to hide such a personality," She looked down. I suddenly smiled and walked over to her. She jumped a little and stared at me as I got closer. I took her hand and bowed in a respectful manner.
"Guardian of this Island. I will do what I can to keep you safe. You have opened up my eyes a little more," I smiled at her. She just looked at me and smiled.
"I am glad," She said softly. After that, I let her go and left back to my camp. Luckily the only one who noticed I was gone, was Kohaku. I told Kohaku everything I saw. Even though The guardian told me not to tell anyone, I trusted Kohaku and I knew if she met him, she would too. Surprisingly, yet unsurprisingly, Kohaku believed every word I said and offered to help me. I promised her I would protect her. I planned to keep that Promise.

* * *

The morning was shockingly cold for an island. Kohaku and I dressed up and left our tents. Our eyes widened seeing the plants color fading and beginning to die slowly. Somehow I could feel how much they were suffering. I flinched realizing what could have caused it and ran into the forest, Kohaku calling my name as he followed me.
"Erin! Wait up!" He shouted. I arrived back to the Guardian first and I stood in shock seeing her laying on the giant rose that had also started dying. Her skin wrinkling like a dying flower.
"Oh no!" I said as I walked closer to her. The crystal was no longer there.
"I warned you... Erin... some people... wear masks." My heart ached feeling as though this was all my fault somehow.
"Who did this to you?" I asked.
"Who do you think, boy?" A dark smirk came across the man's face as he walked behind me. I turned seeing the captain with the crystal in his hand. I glared darkly when I suddenly saw the crew members showing up with Kohaku tied up.
"Kohaku!" I stared at kohaku then glared back at the captain. "Let him go! Give the guardian the crystal back! This island needs this crystal!" I tried to grab it but I was only pushed back into the water.
"You're a foolish boy! Why else do you think we came?" He smirked.
"To explore of course! To learn more about this world!" The captain and the other crew members laughed, mocking me and everything.
"You're a fool Erin! We don't live in that age anymore. We live in an age of wealth and power! You shouldn't have told your little friend where you have been. You didn't even notice everyone else was close enough to listen. You should stop reading and living in those silly fairy tales Erin and wake up to life! Actually, You can just die here along with this island!" He smirked ordering his crew to tie me up to a tree. They soon left leaving Kohaku with me. My direction went to the guardian after they all left.
"Forgive me... this is all my fault.." I looked down. "You asked me to keep you safe... and I failed..." She suddenly looked at me and smiled weakly. The branches of the tree then cut us loose. Her fingers motioned me to some closer. I did so but my expression became sadder seeing her beautiful self going pale and ill.
"Listen to me Erin, if you care so much... Please... Bring back that crystal... for me... before this island dies along with me..." My eyes widened and I nodded. She smiled and kissed me gently. My eyes widened more in surprise. She giggled at my reaction.
"Go Erin... Please..." She breathed weakly. I snapped out of it and nodded and left quickly with Kohaku.
"Erin you realize they won't just give it to us right?" Kohaku looks at me. I grinned.
"Guess I'll just have to finally put those Katana lessons you taught me into play won't I?" He and I chuckled a little. We were lucky enough the ship was still there. I suppose they weren't really in a rush. After all we were tied up to a Tree.
We didn't waste time at all. We quickly snuck in but cautiously as well. It was difficult since the ship was old and creaking. Kohaku stood watch as I snuck into the Captains office to take the crystal. As my eyes picked it out, I quietly took it and turned to leave but stopped as the evil man himself stood, blocking the door.
"You cause a lot of trouble, you know that Erin?" He glared. I glared back and grabbed one of his swords and readied my guard. He laughed.
"You challenge me boy? Very well," He smirked as he took out his own blade and fought me. For my first sword fight, it was intense, but I fought my hardest. I knocked his sword back and aimed the sword at him.
"No more captain. This crystal doesn't belong to you!" With that said, I left the room dropping his sword. My balanced was quickly lost though, as I felt the ship rock a little. I ran out faster like no other to see the ship had sailed away from the island. The crew smirked as their blades pointed at Kohaku.
"Sorry Erin, I did my best," Kohaku looked down. The captain laughed as he came out.
"It's all over Erin. No more games. You are no hero," He smirked. The crew laughed. I could only stare at the island that looked like it was dying faster and faster the further we got away. I no longer had a choice. I promised her I would bring it back. I backed away from everybody, backing to the edge of the ship. Everyone's eyes widened.
"Erin! What are you doing?" Kohaku shouted.
"I'm sorry Kohaku... but I promised," I smiled and jumped off the ship, swimming as fast as I could to the island. I heard Kohaku calling my name. I felt bad for just leaving my best friend behind. But if I had dragged him with me, we both possibly would not be able to return to Italy. I wanted my best friend to live. As cruel at the crew and Captain were, they would have just released Kohaku when they returned to Italy.

My body ached as I arrived on the shore but I didn't stop to rest. I quickly ran as fast as I could back to the Guardian. My heart regained happiness knowing I helped. Knowing I saved the island. The plants already started gaining color back. However, as I arrived to the Guardian, I was too late. My heart dropped as I saw the giant rose dead and gone. The beautiful Guardian was no longer there. I fell to my knees, feeling like a failure. I was too close, but too far. It no longer mattered because she was gone.
"Erin!" I jumped a little and turned, seeing Kohaku all soaked run to me.
"Kohaku?! What are you doing here?" I asked as he grinned.
"We're friends Erin. No matter where you go I follow. No matter if we're stuck on an island or not," He laughed, but I could only look down. He suddenly noticed the Maiden was no longer there and frowned.
"Erin... This wasn't your fault," Kohaku said softly. I didn't respond. Kohaku looked back to where the maiden used to be then walked over.
"Erin look!" He glanced at me. My eyes turned to a little hill of dirt and soil where the giant rose used to be. A hole was already dug up as if ready for planting. I stood up and walked over to see a message written on the dirt.
Plant the seed and watch over it and see it's true beauty.
-Roselia
Roselia. I never once asked what her name was. I was afraid she didn't trust me all the way to give me her name.
"Plant the seed? What seed?" Kohaku asked. I stood there staring at the message, puzzled. Then it hit me. Taking the crystal out of my pocket, I carefully planted the crystal in the ground. Kohaku watched, not really saying anything.
"Guess we really are stuck here huh?" He wondered. I smiled and looked at him.
"Yes, but I don't think it will be that bad," I grinned. Kohaku chuckled as he helped me up. I stared down at the ground where I planted the crystal and gently took some water in my hands from the pond that surrounded the dry soil, and watered it as if it really was a plant. I couldn't save her, but I could do this last favor she had asked of me. For her, for Roselia.

* * *

I gathered the last of the fruit as Kohaku finished building our boat. The island was grateful enough to us to spare us supplies to help us home. I suppose it was thanks for bringing the crystal back to them.
"This should be enough hopefully," I said to kohaku as he tied up the last knot.
"Yeah hopefully that storm doesn't hit us," He said worried. I smiled looking at the sky.
"I think we're safe. After all, the storm was trying to keep intruders out, but we're already in." Kohaku looked at me and nodded. He glanced back at the forest.
"We may not be able to return Erin, you better say your goodbyes."
I nodded and headed into the forest to the crystal to check on it. Ever since I planted the crystal, I have watered it, watched it, and taken care of it. I arrived at what was now a giant flower bud. I stared at it and walked to it placing my hand on the soft un-bloomed flower. I leaned my forehead against it, hearing a faint and quiet heart beat and smiled. I knew it was her. I knew it was Roselia who was growing and blossoming all over again. Too bad I wasn't going to be here to see it.
"The raft is finished," I said softly, talking to her with no knowledge if she could hear me or not. "We're heading home today. I wish... I could stay, but I caused enough trouble already. Humans don't belong here. I mean... maybe humans can come here one day, but it's not that time yet. Perhaps maybe one day. I wanted to thank you. You taught me what it really means... to see a flower bloom. To know how it effects us. I only hope one day more will see that." I sighed softly and smiled. I could hear Kohaku shout for me, as a signal that it was time. I looked down when back up and gently kissed the flower bud.
"Farewell for now Roselia," I smiled and walked away. The bud suddenly began to glow as I heard a faint, soft voice from inside the bud.
"Farewell Erin... Thank you..." My eyes widened then I smiled and walked back to Kohaku. We left if no hurry, but we left back to our home in Italy.

I began to garden more when I got back home. There is no day I don't think about Roselia. Through my life I tell this story as a legend, hoping to make people realize and learn what I had learned from her. So next time you see a flower during any stage, remember Roselia's words: Just like us, flowers and plants are a part of life too.